5:17 PM

About 6 weeks ago I took the plunge and got my first tattoo! I've wanted this design for a very, very long time, and I could not be happier with how it turned out. Here' the story that goes with it:


‘World enough and time’ is quote from the poem To His Coy Mistress by Andrew MarvellIt is a poem that is huge in its comprehension of time, and space, and love. It sums up the idea that time is racing past, taking everything with it, which is a feeling I’ve had ever since I was a little girl. This poem is also featured in my favorite novel, The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. It is used as a toast throughout the novel: ‘to world enough and time.’

The idea of time racing past, myself powerless to stop it, has plagued me for a while. When my aunt passed away a couple of years ago, I couldn’t shake the feeling that I would never have enough time. On the other hand, I kept telling myself, that life has given me a wonderful gift: the world and time, if I am brave enough to embrace it.

I love that this tattoo captures these two beliefs so perfectly. The first being that time will keep moving no matter what I do. That’s life. Then again, I’ve been given the most beautiful, glorious gift imaginable, the ability to see the world; and use the time I have here to love, go on adventures, seek new wonders, and experience all that this great world has to offer.

Now I have my own personal ‘carpe diem’ mantra with me forever.

Design: Mara
Ink: Dr. Woo at Shamrock Social Club in Los Angeles







You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe